Monday, October 4, 2010

The Ghost of Saint Anthony (1996)



Once I was a man like you

strong in the heart and mind

Now my spectre drifts the sands of Egypt these sixteen

centuries

across the tombs of Pharaohs

from Alexandria and the sea into the desert mountains

where only insects live and hermits come to die

No longer do I feel the burning Sun of Purgatory on my bare back

no longer does the word of God wet my dry lips

no more do I hope for resurrection

I only pray for eternal sleep to end my torment

My shade counts the sands of time

moving as parches water

through its fleshless fingers

the carrion have abandoned my bleached bones

a scorpion has nested in my eye socket

no answer echoes in my skull to the

frozen scream of my broken jaw

I am alone

the only ghost in a godless land

I pass through a stone crucifix and Sun Gods

on ancient plaster

neither have redeemed my soul

so I will walk the Breath of Egypt

until the end of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment